Monday, July 19, 2010

The Big Deal - Part 2

Part 2? Where's part 1? I'll tell you - it's saved in my drafts. It got a little bit deeper and introspective than I care to go publicly. A lot about the process, where I feel like I'm headed. Mush. Mush. Barf. Eyeroll. Not the me that you know. So, ON TO PART 2!!

As I was saying in Part 1 that you will never read, I had my first solo show in May. A Big Deal. One room. Twenty newish paintings. For those of you who couldn't make it in the five weeks that it was up, here's what you jerks missed:

As many of you know, I'm very sweet, loving, compassionate and HIGHLY irritable. I have a list of pet peeves a kilometer long and here is the start of a series inspired by them.

Get Behind Me Laugh-Talker - Not everyone minds it when someone is laughing so hard while telling a story that you can hardly make out what they are saying. Not everyone agrees that no story can ever be as funny as you build it up to be when you do that. Not everyone is highly annoyed when a story takes 3 times as long as it needs to when the teller is spitting and spewing and red-faced. But I do.

One of These Days.... - Oh, future husband. I apologize in advance for all the dirty looks you will receive from me anytime you are consuming food or drink within an earshot of me. Slurping, loud-swallowing, sucking and chewing - it's all like nails on a chalk board to me. It doesn't mean I don't love you the rest of the time.


The Demasculanization of Men - This issue goes far deeper than the physical primping, but I'll keep it light. So light that I won't even say more, because I'll just start ranting and making a bunch of pretty-boy lovers mad. There's room for all kinds in this big ol' world of ours... I guess.


Unlitterally - I believe you mean figuratively.


Waistlines are on the Rise, Right? - Thankfully, I believe this trend has passed it's peak, at least among the female population. You're next boys with your boxers out.

Can't Buy You Love - 'Cause it sold.

Amy At Last - If you are persistent enough with your "Paint me! And don't make me one of those ugly people." requests. Eventually, I'll paint you. Amy can testify.


Pessy Penguin - What goes better with a picture of Amy than a picture of Pat?

Another Butt.

Many Mini Flowers - I like making stuff that's just pretty sometimes. Mindlessly doodling one day I stumbled upon a technique that I LOVE. Apparently, craft paper, Sharpies & colored pencils are a magical combination.


A couple of birds.


Hold on to Your Ice Cream When Angels Start Falling From the Sky - This is one of my favorites that usually gets a "Meh" from (most) everyone else. It happened in one of those rare moments when I was just having fun and wasn't giving one thought to whether or not anyone else would like it. I need more of these moments.


Adam's Passivity in the Garden - Being a Christan (albeit a crappy one - but hey, that's the point, none of us will - WAIT - not now) is a monumental part of me. But I confess, I've always had trouble marrying the artist and the believer sides of myself. This was my first REAL attempt at biblical subject matter. I never touched it because it's so sacred to me and my style is anything but sacred. Humor and color. That's my thing. But, I think I've opened a door here. I can be funny AND colorful AND cynical AND make a serious personal statement!! Go me.


Jaws & Moby - Okay, so these were in another St. Louis show. I cheated. A little. But I'm proud of these guys, and I sold them in this show so it's fine. Money wins.

Hope you enjoyed. More to come.

I love you.

4 comments:

  1. No "Meh" on Hold on to Your Ice Cream When Angels Start Falling From the Sky. I love it.

    I also dig the garden one... if you'll let me paint out the belly buttons. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was great! I would like to get to know this sense of humor you show through your paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet moly! This is awesome! The Demasculanization of Men is one I get all fired up about, too...whew..I could talk for a while about that one. Love it!

    ReplyDelete